Sunday, November 16, 2008

Saturday Evening Hunt

I hunted Saturday evening out of the tree stand I put up along the tree line south of my winch up feeder, where I found a couple fresh rubs. As I walked in at about 3:00 I spooked 4 antlerless deer at the feeder. The feeder is probably about 100 yards from the stand and I can barely see it from that stand location. About 4:45 that evening a 4-point showed up at the feeder and hung around for about 30 minutes, then he made his way back off to the west headed towards the south side of the big lake. As soon as he disappeared I noticed that another deer had showed up at the feeder. This one was a 5-point. He hung around for about 20 minutes or so and then eased off to the northwest into the brush. As soon as he got out of sight, I hit my rattling antlers together for 20 or 30 seconds and I noticed he was headed my way. He made a bee-line for me and walked right under my stand about 5 yards from the tree that the stand is in. He headed southwest into the thick cover and I lost sight of him. About 5 minutes later, I saw a deer that looked like a buck moving north between me and the lake. I hit the antlers together again and he trotted striaght to me. It turned out to be the same 5-point. This time he walked by my stand at about 15 yards headed to the southeast. He was definitely interested in the rattling - I just wish he would have been bigger.

After I checked the trail camera I confirmed that I have the camera and stand along a well-used trail. Unfortunately, after the camera had been up for several days it got knocked off the tree by a cow. So, I only had a few days worth of pictures, but there was quite a bit of deer activity. For some reason, my camera is not displaying the correct time - the date appears to be correct, but the time is off. I made sure to set it correctly the last time I checked it. I don't know, maybe the camera is getting old or is just acting up a little bit. Here are a few of the pics.

This was a quick trip out to the lease so I talked Steph and the girls into going out with me. They dropped me off and went to Graham and did a little shopping, then came and picked me up after dark. Before we headed home we had to stop by and eat at Cotton's. It was just the right thing to do.

No comments: