Monday, January 5, 2009

The End of a Good Season

Sunday was the last day of deer season here in North Texas. This turned out to be a pretty good season for us. There were six deer harvested off our lease, which is the most we have taken in the four years we have hunted this property. We also saw more young bucks this year than we have seen in years past, which is promising for next year. In the overall management scheme, I believe we did ourselves a big favor by reducing the number of does and passing on all of the young bucks, especially the borderline "shooters", as well as bringing the buck/doe ratio closer to where it needs to be.

On the last weekend of the season I saw deer each of the three times I was in a stand. I saw lots of wildlife, but forgot to bring my camera with me to the stand, so I apologize for not having any pictures. I saw squirrels, armadillos, a barred owl, lots of cardinals, blue jays, mockingbirds, another beautiful bird known as the rufus-sided towhee, and lots of ducks. But I still didn't see a shooter buck. I can't wait for next year, and hopefully I won't have to miss archery season again. We still have several weeks of duck season left and quail season is also still open and I plan to get my dogs some work in over the next few weeks.

No comments: