Monday, February 28, 2011

First Fresh Shed Antler of the Year

I've been out shed hunting a few times already this year and have found a number of old antlers from previous years that were faded and chalky. But last week I managed to find a really nice fresh one that had just recently dropped.

This antler was a 5-point left side with really good mass. I put the tape measure to it and it scored 55 4/8" by itself. So it would be safe to say that if the other side looked the same it would be approximately a 125" - 130" buck. Not too shabby!

But what did the other side look like? I've had trail cameras running on this property for several months and have never gotten a picture of this particular buck so I have no real way of knowing for sure what that right-side antler looks like. But earlier that same day, my friend Cliff found an antler within just a couple hundred yards of where I located this one that I think could be the match.

Take a look at that drop-tine! This picture makes them look a little different, but it is because of the way the drop tine makes the antler sit when it is rested on the floor, so the angle is a little off. But holding them together the mass, main beams, brow tines, and overall tine length match up very closely. Regardless of whether it is a match or not, we each both found a nice trophy. I'm really getting hooked on shed hunting and seem to enjoy it as much or more than hunting itself. Hopefully there will be more fresh ones discovered in the next couple of weeks before the vegetation gets too thick.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice find!!

Anonymous said...

That's a pretty cool set if I do say so myself, and I do!