Thursday, April 16, 2009

Are you on target?

Hunting with archery equipment is an activity that requires lots of practice and preparation leading up to the hunt. I would venture to guess that most hunters who use archery equipment routinely practice and tune their bows throughout the year. Whether it be adjusting a sight pin, waxing a bow string, or refletching some arrows, continual maintenance over the long run plays an important role in the success of a single hunt, and without practice the hunter can expect inconsistent shooting and inaccuracy when the moment of truth arrives.

Sometimes life gets so hectic that you just can't seem to find time to practice. As much as I like to shoot my bow, sometimes I get so caught up in day-to-day activities that I forget I need to practice. I will let a few days go by without practicing, then it turns into a couple weeks, and the next thing I know it has been a month or two since I picked up my bow and shot some practice arrows. I can't expect to just be able to pick up my bow on opening morning of deer season and expect to be able to hit my target!

It is no different with our spiritual lives. Daily activities with work, school, family, or other commitments sometimes get in the way of our daily walk with the Lord. Just like I need to practice regularly with my bow if I want to be able to have success on the hunt, I also need to have a quiet time with God every day if I want to grow as a Christian. Having that intimate time with God to read His word and pray will prepare me for trials that might come my way and help me to stay on target in the game of life.

I challenge you to have a quiet time with God each day. Don't let a few days, weeks, or months go by without reading His word.

Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my meditation. Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God: for unto thee will I pray. My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up.
Psalm 5:1-3

4 comments:

Albert A Rasch said...

Rob,
came by way of Rick's Whitetail Woods. You have some really good stuff here, and I am looking forward to reading all of it.

Keep it up!
Regards,
Albert
The Rasch Outdoor ChroniclesThe Range Reviews: Tactical

Albert A Rasch said...

Rob,
Thanks for stopping by TROChronicles, I hope you enjoy your visits! It occasionally gets rough in there, but overall I keep it pretty family friendly.

Again, I appreciate you dropping by!

Regards,
Albert
The Rasch Outdoor ChroniclesThe Range Reviews: TacticalPS If you haven't already, join the Outdoor Bloggers Summit

Deer Passion said...

Beautifully written, Rob.. and amazingly full of truth. It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day activities and forget about the more important things in life. I like to think that I'm on target, but the truth is thinking isn't doing. Thank you for the reminder that consistency and heart are two of the keys to godly living.

Keelie said...

Thanks, Rob. I need to hear that...A LOT. Love that verse. Your dad suggested memorizing it and I did several years ago. Hope you guys are doing well. Hope you get a turkey!