Saturday, July 4, 2009

July 4th

I love America and the values for which it was founded! Even though I have never served in the military, I would consider myself patriotic. But, on this July 4th, I would like to say a special thank you to those men and women who have served in our armed forces to protect our freedom and way of life.

Several of my family members and close friends have proudly served our country. I would like to specifically remember and honor them today, for they are more of a patriot than I ever thought of being.

Both of my late Grandfathers were in the Army:
Wayne Watson (Grandaddy) served in Italy and Africa during World War II. I remember him telling me stories of spending months in a fox hole.
Hollis Jordan (Pawpaw) served in Korea and was part of central intelligence leading up to the Korean War.

My Dad, Scott Jordan, served in the Navy just after the Vietnam War.

My Father-in-Law, Danny Baxter, served in the Army and was in Vietnam during the Vietnam War.

My wife's Uncle, Jody Oren, retired as a Colonel from the Marines.

My wife's cousin, William Oren (Jody's son), is currently a Captain in the Marines and has served several tours in Iraq.

My good friend from high school, Justin Gamel, serves in the Air Force flying B-52 bombers and has flown missions during the recent conflict in the Middle East.


I am thankful for the service of these men, and for their efforts to protect our freedom!

Happy Fourth of July!

No comments: