Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Oink Stops Here

I just got these pictures yesterday in an email from Clayton Bowen, who is an old buddy of mine that I used to run around with in my younger days. (Not that I'm old, but now that I'm 30 I can say that.) These hogs were killed in Grayson County, Texas, just a stone's throw from where I grew up.


So I replied back and asked him what the story was on these hogs, and here is what he had to say:

"Well I started walking through the woods with the wind in my face looking for them. I actually didn't see them first, I smelled them. Once I smelled them I got really still and slipped up on them and shot the orange one first. Then about 200 yards later I happened on another pair of them and got a head shot on the black one. Both of them weighed about 100 pounds. These two were part of the five that I shot and trapped two weeks ago. I shot another big sow Saturday night on the same place. But there were only about 50 in that group!!!"

If you have never been around any of these wild hogs, then you probably don't understand how he could have smelled them before he saw them. Trust me, you can! When my dad and I were looking for a doe I shot a few weeks ago, we were walking through a really thick part of the woods and we both caught wind of a really rank, musky smell. (I could insert lots of jokes here . . .) I said I bet it was hogs, and sure enough, about 10 minutes later one jumped up and ran ahead of us. They are definitely odoriferous!

Even though wild hogs are a nuisance to many landowners and even some hunters, they make for a great game animal to pursue! In Texas we have no closed season on them and they can be hunted with any means or methods, so the opportunities are almost endless.

Sounds like you had a great hunt, Bowen! It doesn't sound like there is a shortage of pigs on that place either! Thanks for the pictures.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of these days I have just got to try some hog hunting. More and more it looks like fun and more food for the freezer.