Saturday, January 23, 2010

Duck Season Finale

I had the opportunity to get one last duck hunt in the books this morning before the season draws to a close tomorrow. On this hunt I was fortunate to have my friend Marc Rylander with me, and although we didn't see many birds during the hunt, the camaraderie was second to none! We were also joined by my friend Lee Flannery and his buddy Phil.

This week has been rather warm here in north Texas with temperatures rising into the upper 60's, and that may have played a part in the lack of birds we saw this morning. We woke up to overcast skies and light drizzling rain, both good waterfowling conditions, but the ducks were just not there. We had one group of Wigeons come in really early, and then it got really slow with only a pair of Redhead drakes after that. We only ended up bagging three ducks - 1 Wigeon drake and the 2 Redheads - but it was still a great hunt.

The older I get and the more I hunt, the more I realize that the success of a hunt isn't always measured by how many animals or birds you bag. Sometimes it is the relationships that are forged and the friendships that are developed that mean the most.

Here is our group from this morning. From left to right: me, Lee, Phil, and Marc.

4 comments:

Chris said...

I'm a little envious Rob that i couldn't have been right in the midst of you guys calling ducks.

What fun when you have a bunch of comrades all out there with the same motive..."that of enjoying the great outdoors and the pleasure of watching such unique creatures do what they do best- amaze us in flight"

Take care buddy, Chris

Chris said...

Oh Rob you might like my other blog at the following location and desire to become a follower:

http://majesticadventures.blogspot.com/

Take Care buddy, Chris

Kathy said...

Lee and Phil need to smile :)

Rob said...

Chris - Thanks for the comments. I checked out your blog and you have some really neat stuff on there.

Kathy - I agree! They must think they are too tough to smile for the picture.